Thursday, June 25, 2009

Try Something New Every Day Challenge Day 2

Today is the second day of my self-challenge. I’ve been cooking up new ideas for this, and I’ll get in to one of them later in this post, but for now let me tell you what I’ve done so far.

I started off the day by arriving at work and parking in a completely different spot, backwards. No big deal but again anything is worth trying and it signaled that today was going to be different. After that I proceeded to do pretty much all of my work in a different order than I normally do. Some things are time sensitive and I couldn’t do that with them but it was nice to break out of my same ol’ same ol’ routine. In addition to working backwards I also ate my lunch for breakfast and my breakfast for lunch. That was a bad idea for me, by the way, and it left me hungry all day. To make up for it I ended up snacking on junk food all day and that’s not a good thing. At least I did my regular run at lunch, of course I did it backwards from normal and went further than I normally do! I had pretty much a run of the mill day but doing thing differently spiced it up a little and made my day much easier. I also daydreamed up some more ideas for myself as well.

After I left work I went and picked up Harry. We came home yet a different way and I enjoyed that as well. I found another scenic country road and I’ll probably never take the old boring route we had been again. After that I arrived at the house, backed out of my driveway and set the odometer. I proceeded to drive out a nice country road for 13.1 miles. Yup, if you double that it’s 26.2 miles. Yup, that’s the length of a marathon. Yup, sometime in the next 30 days I’m going to walk/run it. I estimate it will take me anywhere from 6 to 9 hours to do since I’ve never done anything nearly that long before and my fitness level is nowhere near good enough to think of running the whole thing. I’m a little bit crazy! I haven’t worked out the whole food and water thing just yet but I think I’m getting close to having it all figured out. Just driving it took 37 minutes and was a real eye opener. I didn’t really think a marathon would be that tough to just walk but I think I’m in for an unpleasant, but awesome, surprise! I can’t wait to try it!

Anyway, my night is not over and I plan on camping out in my backyard tonight! Technically I have done that before but not as an adult and not at my own home. I’ve got my tent set up and ready to go and I’m looking forward to doing something completely off the wall! In the morning I plan on waking up early and running, something I’ve never done before, and then grilling myself a steak… something else I’ve never done before. After that I have no idea, but not knowing what the day holds is an adventure itself!

No comments: