Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tony Dungy

I’ve never been much of a fan of the Indianapolis Colts. One of the few times I actually pulled for them though was against the Chicago Bears in Super Bowl XLI It wasn’t that I didn’t like or respect the Bears or Lovie Smith, it was that my respect for Tony Dungy as a man and a coach was so great.

Tony Dungy is one of those rare human beings who put others before themselves. He never seemed to be in to coaching for the wrong reasons and all of his players seemed to love him and be better for having played for him. I read somewhere that he enjoyed fishing, I’m not sure if he hunted, but I would be more than happy to share any outdoor adventure with such a fine man. Not many people leave the NFL to devote their lives to serving others. Tony had an incredible football career, and I wish him an even more successful post football career.

1 comment:

Tom Sorenson said...

I can only think of four people who have left the NFL at the peak of their earning careers - and for the right reasons:

Tony Dungy
Robert Smith (Minnesota Viking RB)
Barry Sanders (umm,you know the guy, right?)
Pat Tillman (Arizona Cardinals)

These are always bittersweet stories.