Sunday, September 7, 2008

Seven Sisters Trail and Getting Ready for the Season

Sorry I haven’t written much lately but I’ve been extremely busy getting ready for the upcoming Whitetail season! Last weekend I did some scouting and hiking. The scouting was pretty unproductive but I hiked about a mile and a half back in to Seven Sisters Trail and it was a great trail that I look forward to returning to and hiking the whole way, 5 miles I think. I noticed the acorns are starting to fall as well while I was hiking.

As well as that I’ve been exercising nearly every day and shooting every day! Well, I actually didn’t get to shoot last night but it was the first night in a long while it seems! My shooting is definitely more consistent but I’m going to have to keep at it to be completely ready for the season. I’m working hard and I’m loving doing it as the big day gets closer every second! The biggest news for me is that my article in the paper actually netted me a great new place to hunt! A buddy of mine didn’t realize I had started hunting again and when he found out he offered me the chance to hunt on his family’s land! It’s a big piece of land that he and I will be the only ones hunting. I went yesterday and hung a stand and I feel really good about it! I haven’t fully had a chance to scout it out but he took me through the biggest part of it on 4-wheelers yesterday. The plan is to help take down the doe population unless a really nice buck comes through, or a bear! Yup, there are bears on the property! I’m really excited about the possibilities! I’ll just have to get in there and see how it goes though as there are no guarantees in life.

I also ordered a Leupold RX-II that should be in tomorrow. I’ll post up a review after I’ve had a chance to get used to it! I hope you all are doing well and that you are having as much fun getting ready as I am!

PS
Should have mentioned it earlier but I hung the stand about 75 yards off of a field that the deer feed in. The area is a flat spot on a slight slope leading down to the field and there are 3 or 4 trails leading in and out of it. There is decent sign in there and I really feel like I have a good shot of seeing something there in a couple of weeks!

PPS
I hope this post makes sense as I can not get my brain going this morning… well my brain isn’t 100% ever so it’s probably not a big deal lol! Anyway don’t forget about the Hunting and Fishing Expo coming up in Abingdon VA, on the 20th and 21st of this month!

No comments: