Monday, May 12, 2008

Ol' Tom

May 3, 2008

Hunting Day Recap
Killed my first turkey of 2008 at 10:10AM this morning, he was a 20 lb bird with a 9” beard and 1” spurs! My Dad and I set up in a homemade pine limb and tree stump blind and begin hitting the crow call. We heard some gobbles in the distance but nothing seemed to close. As the day went on we hen called intermittently but only once heard a gobble anywhere close to us. As the day went on the wind picked up and I tried to call anytime the wind would slow down a little but that wasn’t too often. I was started to feel frustrated and was thinking about moving to another field when my Dad let me know a gobbler was coming. I was already laying on the ground so I turned slightly to look in the direction my Dad was indicating. At first I didn’t see anything and then I saw a big ol’ gobblers head come up out of a dip in the field about 30yds away. We let him strut on in toward our decoys until he got about 12yds away and then I laid him down! I thanked the good lord and went out to collect the beautiful bird! He had heard my calling and came to the edge of the field and upon spying the hen decoy he went on to try to impress him a young lady, I’m sorry to say that his best efforts didn’t work out to well for him on this occasion. We sat in the field and tried to call Dad in a bird up until 12 but it just didn’t work out. All in all it was a great day!

No comments: